Sunday, January 25, 2015

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY

Starting at midnight, A Winter Weather Advisory will be in effect until 12 noon Monday.  The advisory is calling for 2-4" for the whole event, which could stretch through Tuesday night.  However, the best shot at accumulation for ACA should come during the advisory period.  We've been above freezing, but much colder air is blowing in behind tonight's front and it won't take too long to start covering roads.  Onset probably won't get cranking until after midnight.

Both of my favored models have ACA in just the 1-2" category, but the 3-5" range on those models is very close by, so need to play it loose.  Our upper elevations in ACA will get more snow, of course.  Highs Monday may well not hit 32 degrees, with teens moving in tomorrow night.  While temps will moderate by midweek, colder air comes back in to end the week.  In short: get ready for weather more typical of January in the mountains.

The bullseye locations are The Smokies, per usual, and also towards I-26 at the TN border and NE up to the Roan Highlands.  Those areas could go 5-8" by the time the NW flow event shuts off.

I'll be up early to report, and anticipating at the very least a delay for the Haywood Schools.


Bob

1 comment:

  1. I drove home at 11:30 tonight (Sunday) and had no trouble until I backed into the lower part of my driveway and got out to walk up the driveway. It was 35 out, so I didn't expect problems. And then my feet went right out from under me. The driveway was a sheet of ice. I was only able to get up to the house by walking on the leaves beside the driveway. So..... please be careful out there. I can't see how things will be any better in the morning.. I was quite lucky that I must have fallen "well"......nothing broken, but I suspect I will be a bit sore in the morning.

    ReplyDelete