Saturday, February 11, 2012

UPDATE: Saturday 7:40 AM

2:30p: Down to 19, with the wind blowing away most of the new snow. Asheville airport had gusts to 43mph at 1p, for those with inquiring minds.  I anticipate little accumulation as TN returns are diminishing, and winds continuing.

12 noon: LOVIN' the sun and breaks, as my driveway is now clear and Apple Creek Road looks black from my house.  29 degrees, so colder air not here yet.  Still precip in TN to come this way, but this is great news except for those wanting accumulating snow.

We've been upgraded to a Winter Storm Warning in Haywood County, for 4-6" above 3500 feet approximate to the TN border.  The snow here has been very slow to turn 'on' but for what little has fallen so far, my driveway is solid white.  Temp is only 29 at the moment, and I was expecting it to be a handful colder...but that's all coming our way all too soon.

The warning is in effect through 6am Sunday, and those temps will fall as the day wears on, into single digits before sunrise.  Already some whippy winds out there, but wind chills could go below zero by 5p or so, and deepen overnight with winds gusting between 40 and 50 mph....rather significant.

Here in ACA, even with the warning amounts, we're far enough from the border that I'll stick with my earlier call for less accumulation in the 1-2.5" range (entrance to top), reduced even more by the winds already blowing out there.  Given the duration of potential snowfall, if Apple Creek Road will be treated it won't be until much later today, if not early Sunday morning.  Just guessing as I've not heard anything to that effect, but as I wrote earlier it would be a bit wasteful to treat before then. Anticipate slick roads if you must travel to and from ACA.

I'll update as necessary.

Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment