Wednesday, March 12, 2014

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY

Our 'fruitcake' winter contiues...the gift that keeps on giving.  A vigorous cold front will blast through today, bringing strong gusty winds and crashing cold temperatures.  The snow advisory kicks off at 6pm and goes through 6am, with the wind advisory starting at noon today.  The official forecast is for 1-3", and for reasons below I'll concur.

Outside of the one map I posted for the last event that pegged Haywood's snow, both the NAM and GFS missed all of the other areas, some of which got over a foot of snow like Mt. Mitchell.  For this event, my models are saying 0-1", and my confidence is low for that, as much as I'd like for us to wake up to minimal travel issues tomorrow morning.  

One HUGE difference this time around will be the temperatures.  Wednesday's forecast in general for ACA will be a low of 13 degrees and a high of 30, with gusty winds still around.  That's a rather brutal change from yesterday's utopic weather.  Water dripping temps for me.

That said, for those that have to get off the mountain for work in the morning you know the drill when our roads are covered.  As the old saying goes, prepare for the worst and hope for the best.  Temps do start to rebound Friday, but Thursday will require a huge wardrobe change.  Roads are expected to be dangerous for a period.

Bob


1 comment:

  1. We fared pretty well. Wind blew mightily through the night and took our roughly 1.5" and blew it to minimal amounts in exposed areas. I see a ribbon of black for AC Road, so outside of some icy spots I'd think it's okay. My driveway has a few bare spots from the wind, but it was icy when I got home at 10:30p last night. Will let the sun and some sublimation work for me for a while yet. Nice warm up starts tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete