Friday, December 28, 2012

Overnight weather...

I wasn't going to post anything, but ACA is now under a winter weather advisory through noon Saturday... NOT for snow but for sleet and light icing.  Not much is expected, but I always refer to ice as "The Great Equalizer" as the smallest amount will make any and all vehicles slip.  I should add the advisory is for elevations at and above 3500 feet, which in ACA is the Moskos family 'blue roof house'.  Temperatures below that line should be too warm to accumulate anything of consequence.

There may be yet another advisory posted Saturday for the evening and night for light snow, but it looks very limited, still running in the 0-1" category like the past few systems.  Next week's weather is unsettled for several days, with additional opportunities for some snow.  At this time, there is no big system to be concerned about, just small, quick hitting periods of potentially wintry weather.

We had quite an inversion in ACA last night.  At 3775 feet, I was 24 degrees at 10p, 28 degrees at 1am, and by sunrise I was  at 38 degrees.  Under certain conditions, cold air flows down into the lower elevations, forcing the relatively warmer air there up to the higher elevations.  Down low, it was 30-31 on Russ Avenue in Waynesville when I headed out on some errands around 9am.

Per rainfall, I picked up 0.84" Monday, and .72" Wednesday, along with a good skiff of snow .  Good bit more rain heading our way in the next week.

Bob

2 comments:

  1. Are you sure about the Moskos house being 3500 feet? I had someone tell me that their car GPS system said my house (579) is at 3300 and I'm actually higher than the Moskos house? I've often wondered about how high we really are and when to worry....lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made my ACA measurements off of detailed USGS topographic maps...can't speak to GPS issues and calibration. I can tell you I've had more than one person put in my Staymon address in their GPS unit and end up MILES from where I am! :-)

    ReplyDelete