Friday, December 21, 2012

ROAD conditions

11:22am UPDATE

I successfully sledded down some salt and got myself out and back home on Staymon.  Below is the 9:50am update, for information purposes. APPLE CREEK ROAD will be salted as soon as the salter can get to it, which should alleviate our problems later today.  Do read the comments below...Lynn Damon made it back up after turning around as there were vehicle issues.  I am crossing fingers that once the salt is laid down, Apple Creek becomes far more driveable by late this afternoon.  Thanks for everyone's calls and input.

9:50am UPDATE:

I headed out earlier to check out Apple Creek Road...from Staymon up I negotiated it rather easily with AWD, and a good bit of the surface up high has little snow on it until you get to Tanneyhill Lane.

HOWEVER...from the double hairpins down it is DANGEROUSLY SLICK.  Tire tracks are all over the road, into ditches, and that includes some of mine.  From the lowest hairpin down I lost traction going downhill like a snail in bulldog gear, and how I missed the Damon's mailbox I'll never know.  I got breached on Apple Creek, and as I slid slowly downhill I ended up pointing uphill.  I was able to crawl up a little bit and get two wheels off into the leaves, but could get no further.  I've walked home to sled down some salt and get to a safer area.

I talked with Chris Martin who had heard on the scanner that a car may have gone off Apple Creek Road but that the Sheriff deputy could not get up to it because of icy road.  I have  no verification of any of that, but it wouldn't surprise me.  And yet, I THINK Lynn Damon got up to her driveway in her Subaru wagon, so I can't call the road impossible...just very dangerous at the moment. May be that my 5,000 pound car is a detriment in this silky, icy snow.

I have heard no word about whether or when the road will be salted, but I'll pass it along here.  Please use comment form on this blog to post any reports you have.


Bob

2 comments:

  1. I just got back into my driveway after attempting to get down the hill in my Subaru. I started to slide at the curve between me and the blue-roof house. I stopped at that point because there was a car stopped below by the blue-roof house. I backed into the driveway at that curve and waited while a couple cars came by. The ones going downhill were sliding quite a bit between where I was and the blue-roof house so I decided to "wimp out" and come back to my place. I am now home with my car in my driveway but I also wanted to report that there is a car just above my house in the road and it appears unable to get up the hill from there
    Linn (579 AC Road)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you probably know by now, Lynn, 'tis I, Bob Child. I cannot tell you how close I came to taking out your mailbox, but I was prepared to buy you a new one and install it, along with a right front headlight assembly. Still don't know how I missed it! If you are in motion up a steep hill, you have some chance of keeping moving...once I came to a standstill, I could not effectively go anywhere without sliding. Thankfully I'm outta there!

    ReplyDelete