Sunday, December 30, 2012

SUNDAY AM update

I'll just start a new post for info pertaining to the roads this morning.  I have a good 1/2" of snow here at the end of Staymon, and all roads, surfaces are white...including around Junaluska.  When I swept a path on the deck, there was no ice underneath thanks to little to no liquid precipitation before the snow showers came; however, like last time, where you step or where the pups ran, those imprints would not sweep up.  I can only imagine the roads are a bit slick, for all the obvious reasons.

Dick Fields just wrote (750a) that just below the lower hairpin at his place "the snow was crunchy but not slippery. There were several sets of straight tire tracks on the road with no evidence of anyone losing traction."

If anyone has any road reports, or info on salting, etc., just comment here, or email me/call and I can add it in. My air temp is 17 and I'm not sure I'll hit 32 degrees today as I'm all shade.

Bob

3 comments:

  1. Our snow also appears crunchy but not slippery at this point.....and no more than 1 inch. I can see tire tracks on the road by my house...2 sets...and no evidence of slipping. It is 22 here and only got down to 19 last night so not quite as cold as at Bob's. I'm just recovering from a horrid cold so no plans to go anywhere until I need to be at my treatment by 9:30 in the morning. So I guess I'm hoping the roads will stay crunchy but not slippery..... I'm pretty certain we don't have enough snow for plowing and I'm not sure how well salting would work at the low temps we are dealing with now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got a phone call from someone going down from Staymon...most slippery spots around the double hairpins, and road is black toward the bottom. No evidence of salting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Apple Creek Rd was just salted. I saw the same plow/salt/sand truck go up the road while it was light enough to see out and now I can see a slightly widening black area in the middle of the road so I think the salting has happened.

    ReplyDelete