Monday, January 25, 2016

MONDAY A.M. UPDATE


At least here near 3800' we had an inversion all night..been sitting at 39 degrees since I got up at 4am.  Takes refreeze out of the equation higher up, but I see low 20s on the map from typical valley locations.  Somewhere on your way down from higher up, you'll go from slush to hard ice.  Slush is still what I call 'wet ice' and very slippery, but today's weather is good news for travel to try and get back to normal in Apple Creek as we all warm above freezing, and rather nicely so.

Made several nighttime trips up and down Apple Creek Road and had zero issues in 4WD-high.  I played around and switched to AWD and definitely slid some, and rest assured 2WD will be even more wiggly.  For those that went out, you'll agree most of upper Mauney Cove Road is horrible, as well.

I'll be heading out very early, and IF I have something noteworthy to I'll post it in the comments below.  Speaking of noteworthy, some of you may already know this, Mt. Mitchell picked up 66" of snow from this storm - a new record.  You can read about it HERE

Get ready for a great day of melting...Tuesday rains may well take a turn to wintry mix as we head into Wednesday.

(7:15am UPDATE: I just started glancing at Wednesday and already the NAM has ACA in a 2-3" range with the GFS with 1".  I'm used to seeing the balance in reverse...will post more when models have honed in better,) 


Bob

1 comment:

  1. At 630a, FYI, 39 at 3800'/end of Staymon, 32/31 at the Moskos blue roof house, 20 halfway down Mauney Cove Rd. At least for what snow is on the road, it has a lot of texture for some grip, and I rode down in 4WD-high in 2nd and never slipped once.

    ReplyDelete