Sunday, January 8, 2017

SUNDAY P.M. UPDATE

0 degrees was my low at the end of Staymon this morning, and I topped out at 14 just now (3pm). 

Finally headed down into town around 1pm.  Apple Creek Road is more snow and ice covered the higher you go, as expected.  Areas that got some sun had some dry pavement spots, but the shaded areas are a slippery mess.  Coming up is far easier than going down...once you lose traction going down and you start to slide, you may be in for a nasty surprise.

Let me preface any of this in that I would not attempt in any way in 2WD cars.  I used AWD this trip, but had 4High and 4Low if I had needed it.

So I can speak only of Staymon Rd. and below on Apple Creek Road, not above.  The double hairpins are quite icy, but if you enter them slowly you should be okay.  From the lower hairpin past the Damon's on the right, down to the next bend to the left, THAT is a deceiving slippery slope.  But by far the part I was very apprehensive about was starting at the Rich house (red roof, just below the blue roof)....THAT stretch down past the curve to the right down to Chris Martin's on the right was exceedingly icy with really minimal dry pavement to put a wheel.  I tried crawling on the edge in the snow, and even then I was sliding and turning the car a bit.  If you look sharply, you can find islands of dry pavement to put your wheels and even stop a moment if you need to.

Side roads around town look like upper Mauney Cove. Passable, but many covered portions.  While I waited at a red light in Hazelwood, here comes a small car at a 45 degree angle trying to stop and sliding right into the intersection.  Luckily, no one was hit.

So if you have to travel, going down is far riskier than coming up, in my experience.  I really had nothing more than a couple of minor slips going up.  With single digit lows likely again overnight, refreeze will be a major issue tonight and in the morning, with black ice widespread.



Bob

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news for ACA: A bit of an inversion Monday morning....temp ever so slowly creeped up to 20 @ 7am, which bodes well for some road improvements later. Here is a link to the snowfall in graphical form from this system.
    http://www.weather.gov/images/gsp/brief/GSP_snow_currentaccum.png
    (you will need to cut and paste the link as it doesn't appear to auto-activate)

    ReplyDelete