Sunday, February 27, 2011

Ah, sweet warmth! And storms....

I think I speak for all of us that this extended break from cold and snow in ACA is a godsend.  Do want to give you a 'heads-up' for the potential for severe storms here Monday afternoon...so it appears.


Tornadoes are rare in the mountains, in large part due to the broken topography.  With that said, they are still possible for short distances, and there is a potential concern for large hail and flat-out damaging wind gusts.  For ACA, our t-storm threat is biggest Monday afternoon, with the incoming storm system probably manifesting itself in a squall line for western NC, as opposed to isolated cells here and there.  Basically, when it comes through, we'll all know it.




Nothing we can do about it except be aware...mild temps will be with it, so t'will be wise to shut any open windows and such.  I think of potential power outages, which leads me to think of how great Progress Energy is about addressing outages and getting them fixed here.  Even though Duke Energy has bought them out for a change-over later this year, I'm told the great reporting system and website will be maintained.


Just FYI, if you don't know already, the automated # to report an outage is: 1-800-419-6356.  The website to access an outage map is HERE. You'll need to mouse over to the Asheville area and hone in on ACA to read outage data/map.  When I lose power, I make sure I power down my laptop to save power to use it as I can, and make sure cell phone is charged in advance.


Hard to believe March is around the corner, but that holds many good blessings...and excited hopes of seeing our wonderful wildflower displays soon!


Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment