Sunday, February 17, 2013

BRRRRRRR!


The above pic (click to enlarge) I took yesterday afternoon...for all of our snow on the N exposure, that's Utah Mountain in the background...higher than ACA, but barely a heavy dusting on their mountaintop meadow, and virtually nothing on the SE facing slopes.

Heavens, those winds have been howling all night and still going strong.  Thankfully we've kept power on.  Low of 12 last night, now 14 as I type.  We got another 1/2" of new and windblown snow up on the upper half of ACA overnight, but down through the trees I do see a darker ribbon that is Apple Creek Road...just not close enough to check its condition.  I drove it up around 7p yesterday, and didn't have any troubles, but with these really cold temps, not sure what the condition is this morning.

Once again, the GFS outperformed the NAM models for this storm, and it especially nailed the 2-5" along and east of I-85 in the Piedmont.  It did not pick up on the bit heavier mountain snow, which Haywood had some of the higher amounts.  CLICK HERE to go to the NWS link showing the totals reported in the NC/SC/GA region.

I already checked the NCDOT traffic management map and all major highways are in great shape this morning...side roads and small highways not so much.  When I went into town yesterday evening, it was strange to see the Russ Avenue stretch with not a trace of snow, and over an inch everywhere over by Walmart area.  Last night's super cold temps allowed for snow to stick wherever it fell, but it's a shallow layer...and some melting in store Monday.

Road reports/updates can be added below in the comments, or hit the email button and send me info and I'll put it in.  Freezing rain in our Tuesday forecast, just FYI...more on that as the  time nears.

Bob

2 comments:

  1. I keep watching for cars to come up or down my hill but haven't seen one yet. I can see tracks but it really looks icy from my window.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got off the phone with Al Rose who just drove down from the top...good melting in the sun, and even shady spots are slushy, so good salting doing its job. Used 4WD but never slipped.

    ReplyDelete