Thursday, November 28, 2013

WATCH FOR BLACK ICE

As I left ACA just after 2pm Wednesday, the plow had made it's first run up Apple Creek Road, and I basically had no issues though the double hairpins had to be taken slowly.  The side roads, like Staymon's steep section, are extremely slippery and icy, though I made it down without an issue. Slowly and carefully is the only way to roll.

I had 1.75" before I left, and saw Al got 2" at the top...winds blew away and added snow, but the heavier snow amounts stayed west and north, thankfully. Click HERE for a link to the National Weather Service's Public Information Statement with snow results (many are not storm totals, just readings during the event).

We're all done with precipitation (and the strongest winds), so it's a matter of slick spots on roads and black ice this morning.   In eastern NC the storm line dropped an EF2 tornado in Carteret County along the beach front late Tuesday night, destroying some condos but no loss of life, thankfully.


Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Bob

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Has anyone tried AC Road this morning (Thursday)? There is definitely fresh snow over the plowed/salted road and the tracks appear to be fairly straight by our place but I wonder how the actual driving is. I'm assuming that we won't plow/salt again so we simply wait for it to warm up enough to thaw what is on the road before the road is really easily drivable.
    Linn (579 Apple Creek)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've gotten no emails from anyone, but with the salt down I would think passage is safe as long as you take it slow. I realize parts of the road are in shade, but there will be sunshine aplenty to work on those tire tracks you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete