Sunday, December 31, 2017

MAYDAY, MAYDAY!!!! DANGEROUS ICE

UPDATE:  Been talking with Chris Martin and APPLE CREEK ROAD IS IMPASSABLE AT THIS TIME.  DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRIVE IT!

An ultra fine mist has continued to fall this afternoon and evening, and I'm now at 19 degrees (5pm).  My driveway has a deceptive coating of ice, and the NWS office at GSP has put us in a Winter Weather Advisory until 10pm for freezing drizzle, basically.  The odd thing is our low may hit single digits, so what ice has formed will not go anywhere anytime soon.  Apple Creek Road is exceedingly dangerous and will be for some time.  

In checking with the GSP chatroom, there have been numerous accidents in Buncombe, Henderson, and McDowell Counties due to the icing. I-40 West at Old Fort has been shut down over the pass.  It takes very little ice to make a royal mess of things, and we have a VERY royal mess.  I don't expect to see 32 degrees at the end of Staymon until MAYBE Wednesday (very iffy)...beyond that, 32 won't get here until Sunday.

I'll holler with any other information as I get it.

Bob

1 comment:

  1. Here at 579 I saw 1 vehicle go up Apple Creek about 7ish but I don't think I will attempt travel unless I hear it is safe out there

    ReplyDelete