Monday, January 4, 2021

MORE SNOW....HERE'S THE GIST (UPDATED)

Peering down toward Lake Junaluska (click to enlarge)

This was supposed to be a La Nina winter here in the Southeast, which is milder all around.  At this point, it's not really coming to pass, yet.  I've got some snow to talk about, so I'll start with today.

Apple Creek Acres is under a Winter Weather Advisory until 10pm tonight for elevations above 3500' (above Dawen Circle). As I type, it's 37 degrees, and of course liquid precip only. The NWS is saying most of the snow will fall above 4,000', so I'm not anticipating any travel issues here in Apple Creek. Travel through higher mountain passes could well become a problem, though.

Late Thursday through early Saturday morning is another matter.  Though still far out (4 days counts as far out!), the GFS and EURO models are all going with 6-8" for ACA, with the NAM just now 'seeing' the event and is at 4-6".  This particular system is one that swings out of Texas into the northern edge of the Gulf of Mexico, then swings NE....these types of systems are where we pick up much bigger accumulations, but the storm track is critical to a hit or a miss.  Add to that a second such storm system early next week...we stand to get solid back to back snows in a week and a half.

With that said, it's still really early, but enough of a 'heads up' to get me to consider what I do Thursday afternoon.  For the first time ever, I may well put my car on Mauney Cove Road as I have a big charter going out Friday that I can't miss.  I have a cheap sled that I would ride down should such a snow develop...seems kind of fun, in a way.

All that to say 'stay tuned'...I'll update when it becomes more clear and makes sense, probably Thursday morning.


Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment