Tuesday, February 2, 2021

5AM UPDATE

While we dodged the snow bullet for most of the day yesterday (except that pre-dawn burst of about 1" at my house).  That all changed overnight as I've gotten 2" more and snow is still falling.  I received this paraphrased  message last night from the HOA board that Apple Creek Road was treated with half a ton of salt late Monday.  The HOA has asked for everyone's patience to let the salt do it's job and to not use the salt boxes, as more is not better.

It's 21 degrees, and today's high may be only equal to yesterday's high, with a good chance it will be colder.  Tonight's lows should dip down into the teens before highs trying to get above freezing.  All that to say don't look for Apple Creek Road to be clear for some time. This is just another insult to injury for all we've experienced this winter.  Welcome to our mountain.  :-)

That means (for some of us) no mail delivery, no propane deliveries, no package deliveries, you name it. The forecast has precipitation Thursday night which should be a very cold rain. Some rain Friday, and Friday night may well have some light snow for us.  Ditto for Saturday night.  By Sunday, we will be treated with a polar vortex crashing down, with potentially the coldest temperatures we've had in 3-4 years. Monday morning's forecast low is currently 7 degrees.  I'll update all that later this week.

My car is at the bottom of ACA, and I'll be sledding down to it early this morning.  I will try to make a quick addendum from my phone on road conditions in ACA, Mauney Cove, etc.  I may not be able to stop and write that until 830am or so.  

I certainly use Google Maps and Waze to check traffic conditions a lot in my work, but another good one to check before heading out is the interactive NCDOT Travel/Traffic maps HERE. You can toggle between conditions, incidents, snow/ice, etc. Most of the cameras are working...I just checked the lovely traffic jam near Harmon Den thanks to an accident, typical of The Gorge in weather like this.

Patience, y'all. If I knew where I could buy a huge box of patience, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Oh, wait....but then it couldn't be delivered.



Bob

1 comment:

  1. Per Bob:
    At 8:00 am
    Much of Apple Creek is still snow and slush covered. Mauney Cove is snow covered and untreated. All other roads are decent. More accumulation the higher up Apple Creek. Two wheel drive cars not recommended at this time.

    ReplyDelete