Sunday, January 14, 2024

WEATHER WOES INCOMING

Haywood is the County left of "A" in Asheville, FYI

Once again, I'm not posting to talk about 4" of snow that will fall in an event and be done...we can't be that lucky.  What's coming in starting after midnight tonight are bands of precipitation that will have sleet, then snow, then rain/snow, then snow/sleet, then rain/snow, all very spread out and not at once.  By Wednesday are the coldest temperatures we've seen this winter, with projected lows Wednesday morning in the single digits.

We are currently in a Winter Weather Advisory from 1am Monday through 7am Tuesday.  If that changes, I'll update...from the above map you can see east TN is going to catch more of the wintry weather, so if you have to head into TN be very aware of that.  Click HERE to read the current advisory as I type at 5:20am.

Whatever sticks Monday into Tuesday stays, which I expect to be snow on top of sleet/ice. There could be some slight melting Monday afternoon, but that may make for an icier surface on roads.  Once we dip bvelow 32 degrees Monday late afternoon, a lot of us won't see temps above 32 degrees until Thursday afternoon. 

The wildcard in all of this (besides NFL wilcard games!) is how much will accumulate.  The models have been trying to nail down jello with this glop, and the advisory takes a broad brush and goes 1-4".  For Apple Creek, my favored 'looks' are in the 1-2" range by Tuesday 7am, with 3-4" very close by.  The trend the past 48 hours has been for the snow amounts to increase along the TN border areas, so I'm preparing just in case it gets a little heavier.

My biggest concern will be the roads and the level of iciness under any accumulations.  Roads will be VERY slow to improve in this type of event, and I'm talking a couple of days.  I doubt there will be enough to warrant plowing, but I'm suiting up my UTV today just in case. My hope is it won't be that bad, but I'm skeptical at this point.

I'll update late this afternoon if I see significant changes to the above, and  I'll be here for all of our fun and frivolity.


..

Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment