Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Road Update

I was able to get up the Apple Creek Acres and Staymon Road this afternoon in my wife's AWD Toyota.  The road is still very hazardous, so going up and down should be done only when necessary.  As always I have continued to stay in touch with Larry. I  continue to weigh our needs and our budget constraints. With the two snow falls in December we have spent approximately 500. in salt and Larry's charges 80. per hour. Already some of you are parking your cars down the road and are communicating with one another for assistance and ride sharing.  It is wonderful to see the neighborhood working together.
After talking with Larry today, he advises that no work would be helpful today. I will continue to assess with him daily. 
Also, thanks to many of you who have take the initiative to salt the paved roads around your homes or on the slippery areas. Thanks to Sharon, Brant, Anthony and Heather (our new renters), Chris, Al, and myself. This is such a help!!  John Stoeckel

5 comments:

  1. It's 6:30 and I need to go down the mountain in an hour. It's currently 34 degrees up here with light rain, and has been since 5am. Anyone down at the bottom or middle have a report?

    Al

    ReplyDelete
  2. My curiosity, too, Al. Inversion for you, but I'm betting it's 31/32 down on Mauney. 34 in Andrews-Murphy, but 32 in Franklin and AVL airport, the only official gauges in our area. 31 freezing rain here in Charlotte, and ALL surrounding counties either delayed or closed...except for the Charlotte system. I've been out and somebody made a very bad decision not to at least delay school 2 hours.
    bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just spoke with Al, heading to Asheville. ACA above freezing high and low, but snowpacked AC Road is extremely slippery with rain on top. Toward noon and later, temps way above freezing, so road should improve later today, but use EXTREME CAUTION and slow speed negotiating Apple Creek Road this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 10:15am - it's 44 degrees here....lowest last night was 32. It was wonderful to hear melted snow (commonly known as water) running down the drainspouts this morning. Richard has a bad cold and is under dr care for it so he's not doing anything on the road by our place but I noticed that our driveway where he had cleared after the first part of the snow is now melted and the road "looks" slushy. I have to go to Asheville later today so I'm hoping that some slushiness will stay at least till I get back up the hill around 9:30 or 10

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shouldn't hit freezing until after midnight, so you should be good to go! Ah yes, water in a liquid state for once this month!

    ReplyDelete