Friday, February 26, 2016

APPLE CREEK ROAD TODAY

Today served as a classic example of how cruel Apple Creek Road can be with less than an inch of snow on the road....and why it is such a big deal.  This morning for example, if you were one of the first three drivers down, you probably had little to no issue.  If you came up, you had no issue.  But pity those that came down later following the tangle of glazed tracks earlier this morning and hit nasty ice, finding their way into a ditch.  Came upon two ditched trucks heading downhill near the red roof house just below the blue roof  house as I was heading down.  Stopped with my outer wheels in the leaves on the right, and luckily had a bag of salt in the car and treated that nasty patch.  On the prior post, a resident posted about the big trouble they had at the lower hairpin.  It was exceedingly dangerous at that point in time, where you could stand in the track and start sliding without moving a muscle.

Point being...you NEVER know what you might experience (or not) when driving in wintry conditions here.  As of 2pm (and earlier, I'd guess) the road is clear and basically dry up to Staymon.  A stark contrast to only a few hours earlier.  Too, it is best to be altruistic and try to help others in trouble if and when possible.  This morning, one such individual that I'm sure does not live up here was extremely rude when I was salting the icy patch around the trucks, impatient to get down and for me to move out of the way. As I said earlier, you never know what you might experience on Apple Creek Road in wintry conditions...

Now we enjoy warming weather, sunny skies, with rain by the middle of next week.  The GFS model hints at another NW flow snow for next Friday, but I'll address that if needed closer to that time.  Be safe, y'all.


Bob

4 comments:

  1. Mr. Bob, I was too an example of how cruel this road could be as I lost control of my car about the same spot this morning trying to go down. But was than the road was the response I received this evening when I made it home to get my car. I had to go to work and was able to get my car on the gravel road, not blocking anyone nor anyone's drive....ONLY to get a message of how they would tow my car if I PARKED there again. Trust me, whoever left me the message, that I did not choose to PARK my vehicle in any drive other than my own, but my life wasn't being risked any further and I got it out of the road as we are requested to do and I walked down the mountain to get to work. I am sorry for the inconvenience that someone on this mountain felt that I was on the side of the gravel road, but it was there b/c it wasn't' going anywhere else other than off the other side.

    I guess other than seeing my first experience with not getting down, but realizing that not everyone that lives here as any concern for others either. I apologize for this but I have never had any ill experiences with anyone until I came home this evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was saddened to hear of your experience. The majority of us in ACA take pride in living here and regularly help others, do friendly chores, and much more. If your car was not blocking a road and not in a private driveway, anyone with ANY sense would have understood given the weather. Sadly, no matter where you go, there are assholes. And one decided to show you his/her true colors. Of course, as we all know, bullies/jerks/a-holes never sign their name because they are cowards. Rest assured we are loaded with good people here in ACA. POST NOTE TO ALL ACA RESIDENTS: Keep pen and paper in your car and leave a note on the dash with your name and number and quick explainer of the problem should you need to leave your vehicle somewhere on the mountain. (To Connie, knowing where you were, this would have made no difference, sadly...) Bob

      Delete
  2. Thank you. And as I'm reading today, I realized how poorly this was written, but I was so upset that someone actually felt the need to go out of their way. I have met many great people and have never felt as I did yesterday....My lesson, I will trust my instincts and park at the bottom next time. When I came home the night before, there was no one there so I thought it would't be bad.. :) I'm very grateful for your updates and thank you for putting down the salt. I had to go down this AM as well before the sun came up and could see your work in the same spot I lost it yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks as always for the updates, Bob, I'm always checking this time of year. We had no issues getting up to the top Friday evening, although there was still snow on the road from the last hairpin at Tannehill to just below our house. Between our driving and the warm up, most of it was gone by this evening.

    ReplyDelete