Tuesday, February 9, 2016

TUESDAY 1PM UPDATE

Not sure the comments section is working as a couple of us have written, sent, but nothing shows up...but here is the latest from Owen Fulghum per road treatments ahead:
_________________________

UPDATE: 1:00pm Tuesday - We have contacted Mike Clampitt to clear and salt Apple Creek Rd. He will come later this afternoon or tomorrow morning (Wednesday) after the snowfall is finished. We know the gravel roads are also slippery, but the wind gusts seem to have thinned the snow such that scraping would likely do more damage than good. If this is not the case with your gravel road, let me know. Just in case you didn't know, salting a gravel road will turn the underlying hard-pack into mush and ruin the road bed. Please be very careful out there - whether on feet or four wheels.

Sincerely,

Owen Fulghum (President, ACAHA)
________________________

I recently drove down from the end of Staymon...after some more heavy snow bands I had close to 4" of very fluffy snow.  Swept cleanly off the deck, but a tad more sticky on my driveway.  Salt cured that after I plowed it.  While Apple Creek Road is heavily snow-covered up high, I had zero issues in 4WD.  Closer to the bottom, there is less snow and the road seemed more slippery to me.

I'd much rather drive in 4" of snow than in 1/2" of snow, and I'd much rather go uphill in it than downhill.  Use caution if you must head out...and watch out for snowboarders! (Just a tongue in cheek thing...an enterprising soul carved down the mountain on one)


Bob

3 comments:

  1. I will add that it's surprising how FAST the snow falls off as you head E/SE from ACA. In Clyde, you would hardly know it snowed at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just saw the plow go by a few minutes ago... Although it is still snowing here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just saw the plow go by a few minutes ago... Although it is still snowing here.

    ReplyDelete