Monday, February 29, 2016

WEATHER AND BEARS (YEP...)

Molly is my "Sheriff", a Border-Aussie rescue from Sarge's.  She wants to herd everyone and every animal she meets, and she is quite vocal if she spots activity in the woods.  Last week, on a couple of nights, she started barking like crazy several times in the middle of the night, lying by the back door and fixated on something she saw or heard.  I would look outside into the woods but I never could see anything.  Then, just two days ago, I was talking with a store clerk who lives on the Maggie side of our mountain, and he told me about a bear that came on his deck just the night before....so now it makes sense: some bears are starting to move and look for food, and as we all know, they course our mountain rather regularly.  Just a heads up, especially for those like myself that keep bird feeders out.  

Spring on our mountain, especially through April, explodes with a profusion of wildflowers.  I'm sure many of us are ready and looking forward to it.  Models had shown some possible wintry mix to move through Thursday night, but for the past few days, many outlets were minimizing it.  Imagine my surprise to dig into my favored model outputs late Sunday and see 2"-3" coming out of the one model that has nailed just about every wintry forecast this season (GFS).  It has held this way for 4 consecutive runs, too.  The NAM 'sees' only 3.5 days out, and is only just now touching on that possibility, but it has already gone up to 1" just in the past run.  The best-guess time-frame is 11p Thursday through daybreak Friday.

I know a good many of us would prefer to not deal with wintry conditions again...but it has certainly piqued my interest that the model is showing something that is not being talked about yet.  I'll post an updated outlook in a couple of days should the forecast change on us.


Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment