Friday, January 25, 2013

Friday AM Update

10:25a update:  Thanks,Chris, for your comment below.  I'm getting ready to pull out soon, and I'll try and phone Chris with my take on Apple Creek Road from Staymon to the bottom, and beyond if there are issues.  I have a steep driveway, and because I am not fond thinking about being in a 5,000 pound bowling ball, I salted my icy driveway.  If there is a minor piece of good news it's that the sleet that mixed in gives the ice on my deck, stairs, and driveway some limited sense of grip. While there is a 'lull' as I type, I see another good batch of moisture approaching I-81 in TN, which will be here soon enough.  My temp rose to 26, but it has flatlined for a good while.  FYI, click HERE for a great NC DOT website with an interactive traffic map...select a route, region, etc., zoom in and move around, and it updates with color coded road conditions that give you a good thumbnail sketch of what is out there if you have to travel.  Be safe, all.  

Updating the blog with current info can be as messy as today's weather, so figured it was easier to post a short and sweet new one.  Already some disorganized bands of precipitation have passed through, and my deck is slick...not enough to make my steep driveway an issue, but it won't take much precip to change that as I'm 23 degrees (up from 19 at midnight).  All advisories and warnings are in place til 11p tonight.  Whatever falls will freeze, excepting where there is brine.

There is a lot of moisture in TN and it's heading due east...nothing moving up from the south.. 28 degrees even all the way down to Gainesville, and though Asheville is forecast to reach 33, many places won't get above freezing. Prepare for a day of frozen precipitation and poor road conditions.  I'm assuming the 4-lanes are better prepped and in better condition, but side and backroads will be a big problem and some already are.

Please post any road conditions or info in the comments section here...I have to leave and am trying to figure the best time to do that once I get other things done, so won't be here after lunch (maybe even before) to provide my own observations.

Sun is back out for a calm, cold weekend before warmer temps move in early next week.

Carefull, all y'all....

Bob

2 comments:

  1. 9:50 aIce is building on walkway at 211 Apple Creek. My daughter in Waynesville says the same thing. Very dangerous for walking. Two cars have passed, one fast one slow. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 11:30 am: Bob Child just passed 211 Apple Creek and asked that I report that the road has been salted. In fact the salt guy was right behind him. Laura Cabe just parked in our drive and said that roads beyond Apple Creek were tricky and to use caution. Bob also said, as he passed, that this could continue into the evening.

      Delete