Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Pesky Weather On The Way

Ugh.  Give me a clean 4" snow anytime, and I'll get wherever I need to go.  But this incoming system isn't about snow; rather, it's about freezing rain, mixed in with some sleet, maybe a tad of snow, and some rain.  We're under a Winter Storm Watch which, as it gets closer to arrival, will be lifted to a warning.  I have an extra vested interest as I was going to hit the highway around noon Friday, and that might be easier said than done.The main attraction comes in overnight Thursday through Friday, and it's slated to be a mess of a wintry mix.

One big factor working against us this time is how cold the ground still is.  Though temps got above freezing for a while today, the ground won't be able to warm up appreciably before a shot of colder air comes before the precipitation Thursday night.  My snow models have little to show right now, 0-1", because this is supposed to be a royal headache for freezing rain and sleet more than anything else.  Should it accrete here, trees and power lines can readily come down.  The forecast is presently ranging from 0.25" to 0.5" ice accretion for some areas in the watch area (Haywood County does happen to be on the edge of the watch zone, so hoping effects here might be a bit more limited).

I need to hit I-40 east Friday around noon...but I'll wait and make that call much closer to that time.  Ice is the great equalizer, and I don't feel like putting my car in a body shop.  I'll update here with another post Thursday...for now, just wanted to mention tomorrow morning's possibility for some wintry 'stuff' in ACA.

Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment