Thursday, January 6, 2011

SNOW: 745PM THU update

Last night's snow was a serious headache given the watery, icy, slushy base to the heavy wet snow.  Exceedingly slippery roads it made.  UPS delivered my tire chains yesterday morning and I eagerly tried them out this afternoon...very pleased, and even negotiated Staymon with only front wheel drive.  Alas, rear-wheel drive with chains is not as effective, as one truck here attested.  Spoke with Larry as he arrived at ACA this afternoon, as both of us put on our chains.  Road was fine to blue roof, and then it was a different world there on up.


Tonight's snows will start accumulating after midnight. 'Likely' snow categories are popping up by 3-4am and hanging in there all day and evening Friday, with a couple of periods printing out 'Definite'.  Point is, the going forecast for 3-5" for ACA seems very reasonable.  What was an 'OK' road this afternoon will be deteriorating quickly tomorrow, and early.


Now the wrinkle: the GFS has ACA consistently in an 8-10" band of snow, for several runs, now.  However, I think the GFS is 'seeing' Monday also, and intends those amounts to be a combination of Friday and then Monday.  For the moment, all I will say is Monday and Tuesday look to be a repeat of Christmas, or darn close to it.  Just what we don't want to hear.  Not a 'given' just yet, but the rumblings are clearly there.  Let's get through the next day or so.


Snow showers in the forecast through Saturday, with a break Sunday, then snow cranking up before sunrise Monday lasting through Tuesday.  Today, nice to be above freezing for a few hours; the depressing note is that most of us won't see 32 degrees for the next 7 days, minimum.  Monday may nick it down low, but suffice it to say winter continues to add insult to injury.  All anyone can say is plan ahead.


Bob

6 comments:

  1. Dave Hughes got me to my house, no problem, but with 4WD. I wouldn't attempt it with a Subaru right now. It's like the road at the blue roof house changed to a different zone.

    Al

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, another world it is above 3500', which is kinda sorta the blue roof. And if it was bad today, even with some work by Larry, it's back to the dumpers tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like they are not including Monday, but talking about today and tomorrow. I'm going to head down the mountain at first daylight to go to the store. I'll let you know the conditions.

    Al

    ReplyDelete
  4. For what it's worth on the day after, I was able to get down Apple Creek last night around 8:30 in my Subaru from 579 (a curve above the Blue Roof house) and back up (we needed more salt) and then down again so that I could be over here in Graham County to take my friend to the dentist this morning. I was able to do the part between my house and the Blue Roof house with no problem but it was worrisome. Now I'll be watching posts to see when/if I'll be able to get back up the hill before the Monday snow hits. Richard doesn't have an account that allows him to post on this blog but if I get emails from him about conditions at 579, I'll post them (slowly though because I'm dialup here).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Al will be making a trip out this morning, and knowing Al we'll get a good report of how AC road is. Only a very heavy dusting at my house here at 730a, bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just got off the phone with Al...Larry's PM salting yesterday helped a lot, but he still found slick spots and crept down in 4WD low. I think I speak for many of us that some ACA residents simply are impatient and drive too fast for conditions when they get into trouble. Keep it slow, steady, and safe. Here at 750a, snow still on the light side, just about 1/2"...assume road conditions will deteriorate throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete