Thursday, January 6, 2011

SNOW: 830a THU update

NOTE: Please check prior post for driving report Claire made for John early this morning.  2" of heavy wet snow with temps near the mid 20s makes for very slick conditions.  
------------------------------------
from Chris Martin @ 925a
34 degrees at his house @845a, but dark areas on road were still black ice...Cabes made it down slowly earlier, so use good judgment and don't assume icy patches are melted now...




-------------------------------------------------
2.2" at my place this morning, but the sun is coming out as I type and should make for beautiful pictures...the heavy wet snow really hangs nicely on any object, but it also creates slicker than normal conditions on the roads.  Claire will update for John per any plowing or salting, as we will quickly get another shot coming in tonight...this time on top of icier conditions.




Our unsettled and snowy pattern picks up again tonight, with both NAM and GFS slightly upping our game for a bit more snow to fall in this next shot.  For ACA, it looks like this for the next totals:
NAM: 2-4"
GFS:  3-5"
The GFS got hot and heavy in yesterday's afternoon and night run, putting us in a shuddering 8-10" band...that scaled back in the 1am run today, but is a little disconcerting it showed up in consecutive runs.  The NAM once again has the Smokies high peaks in a 12"+ range.


TIMING:  Any flakes later today should be after dark, and a model I like now prints out "likely" snow by 4am Friday through the morning....then just "chance" light snow, with another "likely hit" near midnight Friday into Saturday.


As always, I'll post with any update.  Will be taking my new best friend out for a spin shortly, my 36" bladed Manplow...and may add a colored 'update' toward the top of this post.


bob

2 comments:

  1. It's only about an inch here at 579 but "my" snow is also the heavy sort that just hangs on whatever it falls on. It is beautiful but I wouldn't want to be going out on it right now. My driveway and the road are both still white and I can see just a set of tracks or two on the road. It does appear that the tracks are straight as opposed to curvy from being out of control but this is only one little stretch of our Apple Creek Rd so I would agree that driving on it right now does not seem to be a good idea just from my knitting group this morning...lol!. I was planning to take a friend to the dentist tomorrow morning for an extraction so it would be nice if things clear up enough that I can try doing that.....but I won't risk it if it doesn't seem safe. I'll watch for further reports....
    Linn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomorrow morning doesn't look driving-friendly...but if I had to choose I'd rather drive on 5" of new snow than 2" of packed wet snow. Just got a set of 'aggressive' chains for my little ol' Subaru wagon, so will brave a trip out later, once I get my white driveway black again! By the way, as most of you may know, there are many 'ice melters' at the store that really do work well below zero F. Walmart had some Morton 25# bags for $4-5 that are easier to handle than the typically much larger bags, FYI. I get SafeStep at the Tractor Supply where Walmart used to be. Works great...just not been able to train my pups to spread it out for me!
    bob

    ReplyDelete