Tuesday, January 4, 2011

SNOW this week

Alright, I've got to speak about the forest instead of the trees.


My fairly fail-safe models I lean on have blinders: they give me a 5-day total snapshot, that's all.  Problem is, and it's a minor one, there are two small 'hits' where snow could lightly accumulate: late Wednesday into Thursday, and then Friday. As I talk about potential accumulations, I'm unable (right now) to give you a good idea time-wise of what falls when.  I do have a good glimpse of the bottom line, though.


So we have a couple of quick hitting fronts with limited moisture moving through the rest of this week, but we all know that very little snow can cause driving issues....so here's my snapshot for all events through Friday night...


Storm totals for ACA:
NAM: 3-5" 
GFS:  1-3"


Compared to the Christmas snow, small taters.  The NAM, as has been the case this winter, has taken the lead and been increasing amounts with model runs today, putting the Smokies bull's eye in the 10-12" range.  As you know, I pay attention to the high border totals because, as the crow flies, they're not that far from us, and a lot of us have basically northerly exposures, which means we are a bit connected to those accumulations, even if peripherally.


SOOoooooo....I'll give everything a good look over in the morning and put an update up sometime in the AM Wednesday.  Guess I'm glad any snows will fall on barren ground instead of old snow layers...that's a big help.


Bob
(click on pic to enlarge...sunrise near New Year's)

No comments:

Post a Comment